Oil Filter Adapter Gasket Fix
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Herd WebMaster
Forum Admin

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  07:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Herd WebMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By Peter Cordes.

The reason why I am doing this write up is because since I have joined various Impala SS/9C1 lists and mentioned about the oil leak my car had a lot of people have said that they have a similar leak coming from right above the oil filter as well. So I decided while I was doing the fix I might as well document it and provide it to the GM B-Body world.

This problem seems to have stemed from bad design, cost cutting on GM's part, or the gasket that was in there broke up over time(really hope that is not the case. What I found was there was no gasket between the oil filter adapter and the enging so just an o-ring was sealing the surfaces which is probably what is causing this leak to happen in the first place.

You are going to need these tools:
  • 15mm box wrench
  • 1/4th inch allen wrench
  • some sort of oil filter wrench
  • some sort of oil filter wrench
  • oil pan to hold the used oil
  • Rubber headed hammer or a regular hammer and a block of wood

You will need these parts as well:
  • AC Delco PF-52 or equivalent oil filter
  • 5 quarts of Mobil 1 oil
  • GM Part #12551589 Oil Filter Adapter gasket I got it for $.57
  • GM Part #10244495 Oil Filter Adapter o-ring I got it for $1.50

Symptom(s):
Oil running down the side of the oil filter while the car is running.

Removal:
To start jack the front of the car up and put it on good jackstands. Then drain the oil out of the engine(since while you are under there you might as well change the oil since you will be changing the filter as well), take off the oil filter and let it drain into the oil pan. After oil stops draining out you might want to take off the drivers side catalitic converter and disconnect the O2 sensor from it as it will increase the working room. Then remove the nut that attaches the oil cooler lines to the adapter with the 15mm box wrench, this is one of the times taking out the catalitic converter and O2 sensor comes in handy and neccessary to do it now so you don't bend the oil cooler lines). Then after that bolt is off use the 1/4th inch allen wrench to remove the 2 screws holding the oil filter adapter to the engine. You will probably want to use a large wrench to get better leverage on the allen wrench as the two screws are on there rather tightly. After those screws are out you can try to seperate the oil filter adapter from the engine but if it doesn't budge use the hammer to give it a nudge so it will loosen its seal from the engine. After that remove the oil cooler lines from the adapter. Check to see if there is any gasket material where the adapter was(in my 9C1 there was no gasket at all) and remove the old orange o-ring which should be rather flat making that another possible cause of the oil leak.

Installation:
Clean the adapter very well making sure that as much of the built up grime is off as possible to ensure new leaks don't develop from a dirty adapter. After it is clean it is ready to be reinstalled in the car. I recommend putting the screws into the adapter now and taping(just the screws and just enough so they don't fall out) them in and put the gasket and o-ring on since it will make a lot installation easier. Go back under the car and attach the adapter to the oil cooler lines and put the nut on now by hand to keep the lines and adapter together. Then put the adapter back into place and tighten the screws one at a time and remove the tape from over each screw right before you goto tighten it just so you keep the alignment of the gasket and screws proper. After the adapter is fully tightened(don't have a torque spec) tighten the nut(again no torque specs). For the screws I used a wrench to tighten them till it was hard for me to tighten them more and same for the nut. Once that is done make sure the oil pan screw is in there(just to be on the safe side), put on the new oil filter, fill the engine up with oil, put the catalitic converter and O2 sensor back on(if removed), and start the engine. Check for any leaks, hopefully there are none as this procedure was supposed to stop leaks. If no leak take the car off the jackstands, clean up, and have yourself a nice refreshing drink for a job well done. I took my car out for a spin after this was done just to make sure oil wasn't leaking(for the engine to warm up to running temps and I needed gas as well).
UPDATE AS OF APRIL 26, 1999:

A few weeks after I did the above listed mod on my car, is has developed no new leaks and has kept a steady amount of oil in the block. I still have roughly 2000 miles to go till the next scheduled oil change and at that time I will check to make positivly sure that no new leaks have developed in my car.
UPDATE AS OF MAY 18, 1999:

There are still no oil leaks. I am still waiting for the 3000mile oil change to come up which should be in a month or so as I have about 1000miles to go till then. I have not noticed any oil leaks or oil drippings on the ground so i assume everything is fine but as I said still have another 1000miles to go through.

Forum Administrator
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
All Forums
B-Body Discussion
Tech Articles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The HERD Garage Forum © 2007 The HERD Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000